NHS teams across England have today (Friday 18th May) announced the individuals and teams they have chosen as regional champions in a prestigious competition to mark the NHS’s 70th birthday.
The champions – including NHS porters, volunteers, patients, chief executives and local council health teams – will now vie with each other for a national award to be presented at a special ceremony in the Palace of Westminster in July.
The NHS70 Parliamentary Awards, sponsored by IBM and Teva, recognise the massive contribution made by the individuals who work in and alongside the NHS.
Launched in February, it asked MPs to find and nominate those individuals or teams they thought have made the biggest improvements to health services in their constituencies, across ten categories.
From more than 750 entries submitted by almost half of all MPs in England, senior experts have chosen ten outstanding nominations, which exemplify the best of what the NHS and its partners do day in, day out.
The shortlisted nominees are listed below. Further details about each nominee will be published on the NHS70 Parliamentary Awards website over the coming days and weeks.
The Excellence in Mental Health Care Award
- North – Zero Suicide Alliance at the Centre for Perfect Care in Merseyside
- South – Dorset Armed Forces Community Health and Wellbeing Project at Dorset HealthCare University NHS Foundation Trust
- Midlands and East – Diabetes and Mental Health Teams at West Hertfordshire Hospitals NHS Trust
- London – Saeed Khalilirad, Specialist Cognitive Behavioural Therapist at West London Mental Health NHS Trust
The Excellence in Cancer Care Award
- North – York Against Cancer and York Teaching Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
- South – Sian Dennison, Lead Cancer Nurse at Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust
- Midlands and East – Inspire Health Team – Sarah Minns & Jyoti Shah at Burton Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- London – Community Children’s Nursing Team at Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust
The Excellence in Urgent and Emergency Care Award
- North – Alliance – Integrated Urgent Care Services at North Tees and Hartlepool NHS Foundation Trust
- South – Home First Team at Royal United Hospitals Bath NHS Foundation Trust
- Midlands and East – HECTOR (Heartlands Elderly Care, Trauma and Ongoing Recovery Project) at Heart of England NHS Foundation Trust in Birmingham
- London – Dr Gayle Hann – Consultant Paediatrician Lead for Emergency Care at North Middlesex University Hospital
The Excellence in Primary Care Award
- North – Cumbria Health on Call in Penrith
- South – CLICK CHAMP at Church View Medical Centre in Somerset
- Midlands and East – University of Nottingham Patient Safety Team
- London – Brian Dickens – Practice Manager at Parchmore Medical Centre
The Person-Centred Care Champion Award
- North – Community Tissue Viability Services at Pennine Acute NHS Trust in Manchester
- South – Dr Shelagh O’Riordan – Consultant Community Geriatrician at Kent Community Health NHS Foundation Trust
- Midlands and East – Norfolk Just One Number Initiative at Cambridgeshire Community Services NHS Trust
- London – Temptations Mambiravana – Older Person’s Assessment and Liaison (OPAL) Nurse Specialist at Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust
The Future NHS Award
- North – Digital Liverpool Team at Royal Liverpool and Broadgreen University Hospitals NHS Trust
- South – TIHM (Technology Integrated Health Management) for Dementia Study Team at Surrey and Borders Partnership NHS Foundation Trust
- Midlands and East – Renal Telemedicine Team at East and North Hertfordshire NHS Trust
- London – Professor Shafi Ahmed – Consultant General, Laparoscopic and Colorectal Surgeon at Barts Health NHS Trust
The Healthier Communities Award
- North – Healthier Fleetwood at Mount View Surgery, Fleetwood
- South – Gary Deighton and The Community Engagement Team at Forest of Dean District Council
- Midlands and East – Alex Cotton and the ‘It Takes Balls to Talk’ Team at Coventry & Warwickshire Partnership NHS Trust
- London – Islington GP Federation
The Care and Compassion Award
- North – Emma Taylor – Nurse Practitioner for Older People at Wirral Community NHS Foundation Trust
- South – Clock Tower Surgery in Exeter
- Midlands and East – Butterfly Volunteers at East and North Hertfordshire NHS Trust
- London – ‘Treat Me Right!’ led by NHS North West London Clinical Commissioning Group’s
The Patient and Public Involvement Award
- North – Victoria’s Voice Youth Forum at Blackpool Teaching Hospitals Foundation NHS Trust
- South – Chris and Steve Beal at NHS Southampton City Clinical Commissioning Group
- Midlands and East – My WiSH Charity at West Suffolk Foundation Trust
- London – Dr Sian Job and the NHS Wandsworth Clinical Commissioning Group
The Lifetime Achievement Award
- North – Dr Nayyar Naqvi – Consultant Cardiologist and Senior Responsible Officer at Wrightington, Wigan and Leigh NHS Foundation Trust
- South – Rose Bennett at Solent NHS Trust
- Midlands and East – Professor Barbara Wilson – Founder of the Oliver Zangwill Centre at Cambridgeshire Community Services NHS Trust
- London – Dame Jacqueline Docherty – Chief Executive Officer at London North West University Healthcare NHS Trust
All of the champions will now be invited to the national awards ceremony, which will be held on July 4th, the day before the NHS’s 70th birthday.
The ceremony will be hosted by Dr Sara Kayat, NHS GP & TV Doctor best known for This Morning, Celebrity Island with Bear Grylls and GPs: Behind Closed Doors.
The regional champions will now go forward to a final stage of judging by a panel including the leaders of Royal Colleges, the Unison trade union, and the Patients Association – collectively representing millions of health and care workers and patients.