At a star-studded event in London, five NHS staff were named as the winners of the Daily Mail’s Health Hero Awards last night.
Hundreds of people gathered to watch the presentations to a hospital cleaner, surgeon, volunteer, nurse and GP.
VIP guests included Countryfile’s John Craven, Love Island’s Dr Alex George, Health Secretary Matt Hancock and the Prime Minister Theresa May.
The winners were:
* Dr Susan Walker-Date, a GP in Bournemouth
* John Gaunt, 89, who volunteers at the Royal Free Hospital, London
* Amy Semper, who is a mental health nurse at Lincolnshire Partnership NHS Foundation Trust
* Yakub Vali, who is a cleaner at the Royal Preston Hospital, Lancashire
* Sohier Elneil, a surgeon at University College London Hospital.
Sohier was also named as the overall winner being crowned as Health Hero 2018.
As well the celebrating the winners, the event raised money for NHS Charities Together – a group of more than 130 NHS charities that came together to mark the NHS’s 70th birthday.
Read more about all of the winners.